cw Terahertz: Customized Solutions
- Flexible realization of customized designs
- E.g. 3-laser-setups with extended tuning range
- Non-standard wavelengths (779 / 781 nm)
- Precise frequency control with single-MHz resolution
- THz optics for transmission / reflection measurements
Terahertz science is a vibrant and exciting field of research. The number of applications is steadily growing, and so are the requirements on the utilized laser systems. And sure enough, a “Standard Package” may need to be modified into a “Non-Standard Package” if photomixers are to be cooled to liquid-Helium temperatures, or if terahertz frequencies outside the lasers’ tuning range are to be attained. And even an “Extended Spectroscopy Kit” might call for a further extension, if the beam is to be focused onto a microscopic sample.
Our product specialists have many years of hands-on experience with diode lasers and terahertz systems, and will be able to react flexibly to our customers’ needs. Examples of custom-designed terahertz systems that we have built thus far include:
- Tuning range extensions. The frequency span of a cw terahertz spectrum is usually limited by the tuning range of the DFB diode lasers. Adding a third diode laser greatly enhances the accessible frequency range. With carefully selected center wavelengths of our DFB lasers, we have pushed the bandwidth of a 1550 nm TeraBeam + Spectroscopy Kit to beyond 2 THz.
- Non-standard wavelengths. TOPTICA’s portfolio of DFB lasers covers, without exception, all wavelengths between 760 nm and 2900 nm. Thus, if an application requires a seed wavelength other than 850 nm or 1550 nm – e.g. for research on “exotic” photomixer materials, or for cryogenic experiments, where the temperature-induced change of the photomixers’ band-gap needs to be taken into account –, we will be happy to work out the matching laser configuration.
- High-precision frequency control. Ultimate spectral resolution is achieved by combining the lasers of the Standard Package with our patented iScan quadrature interferometer. The frequency of each laser is adjusted with an accuracy of ~ 1 MHz. This translates directly into resolution of the terahertz signal, making our systems well-suited for even the most challenging measurement tasks in low-pressure gas spectroscopy.
- Advanced terahertz optics. We are happy to provide customized optics assemblies, e.g. with a focused terahertz beam, or even a versatile setup that permits simple and reproducible switching between transmission and reflection-mode measurements.
Challenge us with your needs!